– United In Birth Interview Series by Rose Garnet Photography –
I had the pleasure to interview the lovely Carla Hanekom from Childbirth Classes By Carla. Carla has been working in healthcare for a number of years and offer informative childbirth classes for new parents-to-be.
1) Firstly, we would like to meet the face behind your business. Please tell us about yourself.
“ My name is Carla & I am passionate about babies! I have 10 years’ experience in healthcare and currently studying my Executive MBA. My wish is for all moms to have a pleasant birth experience and be educated with the latest evidence-based knowledge.”
2) Describe your business and what services/products do you provide.
“I offer childbirth classes where I cover a variety of topics from before birth, birth and after birth. I do this for groups but mostly individual private classes in the comfort of your own home. I also offer Zoom classes for far away parents.“
3) Where are you based and what area do you service? Do you have a shop/studio?
“I am willing to travel anywhere in the Western Cape but have even done online classes for couples up country.“
4) Who is your ideal target market?
“Expectant parents, especially first time parents.“
5) When did you start your business?
“August 2019 and loving every minute of it!“
6) What inspired you to start your business?
“I have always been very passionate about babies, children, parenting and breastfeeding. When I found a course which would allow me to become a childbirth educator without having to be a midwife, I jumped at the opportunity. I’ve been facilitating workshops at the hospital for years and also help out in the maternity unit.“
7) How did you come up with the name for your business?
“Because my name starts with a C, it all kind of just grew from that.“
8) What was it like starting out?
“It was daunting. I had to win over doctors (as I am not a midwife) and prove to them that I have the knowledge to teach parents.“
9) Can you describe/outline your typical day?
“A typical day would be working hard at the hospital, studying a bit and doing a class after. And yes, I do sleep, especially on Sundays!“
10) What is unique about your business?
“Usually childbirth classes were only offered in groups. I have found the private (in-your-home, on your schedule) classes are very popular.“
11) What is your biggest achievement/proudest moment in your career?
“Assisting a mom to latch twins at the same time, photographing births of my clients’ babies, holding their babies and helping them after the birth.“
12) What has so far been your biggest challenge in this line of work and what did you learn from it?
“Covid! Definitely Covid. Spreading the word about online classes during lockdown was a bit of a challenge.“
13) How has your business affected your family life and did you have to make any big sacrifices for your career?
“Luckily my personal life lends itself towards me being very flexible when it comes to both short term arrangements and planning ahead. Thank goodness for a phone diary!“
14) What would you say are important personality traits and skills to flourish in this particular industry?
“You definitely need to have experience in the field, patience, kindness, compassion and passion for what you’re doing.“
15) If you had the chance to start your business over again, what would you do differently?
“Maybe plan my advertising campaign a bit differently. But all and all, it has been a wonderful journey.“
16) Where would you like to be in 5-10 years from now?
“Doing the same work (in and out of hospital) but hopefully in Chicago.“
17) Name and answer three (3) questions that you get asked by clients the MOST in your line of work.
“Is my partner allowed to be at the birth during Covid – at Mediclinic birth partners are allowed for the birth whether the mom is Covid positive or not.“
“What are normal symptoms/signs of anything related to pregnancy and birth? That answer is waaaay too long!“
“What should I pack to hospital? Well, that depends which hospital you are birthing in, but I have my answers ready!“
18) What are your thoughts about the maternity, birth and baby industry in South Africa? What aspects would you like to see improve/change?
“In general I wish all parents could afford/attend childbirth classes as it just prepares them so much for what is coming. In the public sector, my hope is for more respectful maternity care for patients. Every patient deserves to be treated with respect, kindness, compassion and dignity. “
19) If you had one piece of advice to someone just starting out on their own, what would it be?
“Do your market research well and get the doctors on your side.“
20) Anything else you would like to share about you or your business?
“Clients are very welcome to email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for pricing and further information.“
Follow & support Carla on social media or reach out to her for more info: